Version 3.0 (2016-12-27)¶
Support RAR5 archive format. It is actually completely different archive format from RAR3 one, only is uses same file extension and tools are old one.
Except incompatibilies noted below, most of code should notice no change, existing
RarInfofields will continue using RAR3-compatible values (eg.
RarInfo.host_os). RAR5-specific values will use new fields.
Incompatibilities between rarfile v2.x and 3.x:
PATH_SEPis now ‘/’ instead ‘\’.
NEED_COMMENTSoption, comments are always extracted.
UNICODE_COMMENTSoption, they are always decoded.
RarInfo.date_timeis always tuple,
- Fixed bug when calling rarfp.open() on a RarInfo structure.
- Code refactor to allow 2 different file format parsers.
- Code cleanups to pass modern linters.
- New testing and linting setup based on Tox.
- Use setuptools instead distutils for install.
Version 2.8 (2016-06-07)¶
- Fix: support solid archives from in-memory file object. Full archive will be written out to temp file. [#21]
- Fix: ask unrar stop switches scanning, to handle archive names starting with “-”. (Alexander Shadchin) [#12]
- Fix: add missing _parse_error variable to RarFile object. (Gregory Mazzola) [#20]
- Fix: return proper boolean from
- Fix: do not insert non-string rarfile into exception string. (Tim Muller) [#23]
- Fix: make
RarFile.testrar()support in-memory archives.
- Use cryptography module as preferred crypto backend. PyCrypto will be used as fallback.
- Cleanup: remove compat code for Python 2.4/2.5/2.6.
Version 2.7 (2014-11-23)¶
- Does not support solid archives.
- Does not support password-protected archives.
- Does not support “parsing filters” used for audio/image/executable data, so few non-solid, non-encrypted archives also fail.
unrarand if not then tries
bsdtar. If that works, then keeps using it. If not then configuration stays with
unrarwhich will then appear in error messages.
Based on patch by Chase Zhang.
Uniform error handling.
Allow user to tune whether parsing and missing file errors will raise exception. If error is not raised, the error string can be queried with
Version 2.6 (2013-04-10)¶
- Add context manager support for
withstatement now. (Wentao Han)
RarFile.volumelist()method, returns filenames of archive volumes.
- Re-throw clearer error in case
unraris not found in
- Sync new unrar4.x error code from
- Use Sphinx for documentation, push docs to rtfd.org
Version 2.5 (2012-01-19)¶
RarExtFile.readinto()now do looping read to work properly on short reads. Important for Python 3.2+ where read from pipe can return short result even on blocking file descriptor.
- Proper error reporting in
RarExtFile.read()from unrar pipe: prefer to return unrar error code, if thats not available, do own error checks.
- Avoid string addition in
RarExtFile.read(), instead use always list+join to merge multi-part reads.
- dumprar: dont re-encode byte strings (Python 2.x). This avoids unneccessary failure when printing invalid unicode.
Version 2.4 (2011-11-05)¶
USE_DATETIME: survive bad values from RAR
- Fix bug in corrupt unicode filename handling
- dumprar: make unicode chars work with both pipe and console
Version 2.3 (2011-07-03)¶
- Support .seek() method on file streams. (Kristian Larsson)
- Support .readinto() method on file streams. Optimized implementation
is available on Python 2.6+ where
- Support file comments -
RarInfo.commentcontains decompressed data if available.
- File objects returned by
io.RawIOBase-compatible. They can further wrapped with
- Now .getinfo() uses dict lookup instead of sequential scan when searching archive entry. This speeds up prococessing for archives that have many entries.
UNICODE_COMMENTSto decode both archive and file comments to unicode. It uses
TRY_ENCODINGSfor list of encodings to try. If off, comments are left as byte strings. Default: 0
PATH_SEPto change path separator. Default:
rarfile.PATH_SEP='/'to be compatibe with zipfile.
USE_DATETIMEto convert timestamps to datetime objects. Default: 0, timestamps are tuples.
TRY_ENCODINGSto allow tuning attempted encoding list.
RarInfofiels to better show zipfile-compatible fields.
- Standard regtests to make sure various features work
RarInfo.filenameis already unicode since 2.0.
- .read(-1) reads now until EOF. Previously it returned empty buffer.
- Make encrypted headers work with Python 3.x bytes() and with old 2.x ‘sha’ module.
subprocess.Popenusage when launching
unrar. Previously it tried to optimize and work around OS/Python bugs, but this is not maintainable.
- Use temp rar file hack on multi-volume archives too.
- Always .wait() on unrar, to avoid zombies
- Convert struct.error to BadRarFile
- Plug some fd leaks. Affected: Jython, PyPy.
- Broken archives are handled more robustly.
Version 2.2 (2010-08-19)¶
- Relaxed volume naming. Now it just calculates new volume name by finding number in old one and increasing it, without any expectations what that number should be.
- Files with 4G of compressed data in one colume were handled wrong. Fix.
- DOS timestamp seconds need to be multiplied with 2.
- Correct EXTTIME parsing.
Version 2.1 (2010-07-31)¶
- Minimal implmentation for
RarFile.testrar(). They are simple shortcuts to
RarInfoobject where filename is expected.
dumprar.pyin .tgz. It can be used to visualize RAR structure and test module.
- Support for encrypted file headers.
- Don’t read past ENDARC, there could be non-RAR data there.
- RAR 2.x: It does not write ENDARC, but our volume code expected it. Fix that.
- RAR 2.x: Support more than 200 old-style volumes.
- Load comment only when requested.
- Cleanup of internal config variables. They should have now final names.
RarFile.open(): Add mode=r argument to match zipfile.
- Doc and comments cleanup, minimize duplication.
- Common wrappers for both compressed and uncompressed files,
RarFile.open()also does CRC-checking.
Version 2.0 (2010-04-29)¶
- Python 3 support. Still works with 2.x.
- Parses extended time fields. (.mtime, .ctime, .atime)
RarFile.open()method. This makes possible to process large entries that do not fit into memory.
- Supports password-protected archives.
- Supports archive comments.
subprocessmodule to launch
- .filename is always Unicode string, .unicode_filename is now deprecated.
- .CRC is unsigned again, as python3 crc32() is unsigned.
Version 1.1 (2008-08-31)¶
tempfile.mkstemp(). (Jason Moiron)
- Fix infinite loop in _extract_hack on unexpected EOF
RarInfo.CRCis now signed value to match crc32()
RarFile.read()now checks file crc
- more docstrings
- throw proper exceptions (subclasses of
- RarInfo has fields pre-initialized, so they appear in help()
- rename RarInfo.data to RarInfo.header_data
- dont use “print” when header parsing fails
- use try/finally to delete temp rar
Version 1.0 (2005-08-08)¶
- First release.